- PhD, Communication Sciences & Disorders, The University of Memphis, 2012
- MS, Speech-Language Pathology, The University of Mississippi, 2002
- BA, Communicative Disorders, The University of Alabama, 2000
- Effects and use of thickened fluids in pediatric populations
- Intrinsic properties of thickened fluids
- Development of feeding and swallowing skills in infants and children
- Diagnosis and management of dysphagia in pediatric populations
- NSF REU Site: Engineering Sensors Systems and Signal Processing for Speech Pathology; Freeborn & Gosa (Co-PI). Submitted August 2018: Applied for $352,034.00, Awarded in March 2019: $352,034.00
- ASHA New Investigator’s Grant proposal, Usefulness of the Adapted Pre-Feeding Skills Checklist for Identification of Oral Phase Dysphagia in Non-Medically Complex Children with Feeding Problems; Gosa (PI). Submitted April 2017: Applied for $9,440.00, Awarded in October 2017: $10,000.00
Suiter, D.M., Gosa, M.M., & Leder, S. Intra-Oral Dwell Time Results in Increased Bolus Temperature and Decreased Bolus Viscosity for Thickened Liquids. Topics in Clinical Nutrition (TICN). In press for publication Winter 2013.
Tutor, J.D., & Gosa, M.M. (2012). Dysphagia and aspiration in children. Pediatric Pumonology, 47(4), 321-327.
Gosa M.M., Schooling T., & Coleman J. (2011). Thickened liquids as a treatment for children with dysphagia and associated adverse effects: A systematic review. Infant Child and Adolescent Nutrition. Published Online First: 5 May 2011. doi: 10.1177/1941406411407664
Tutor, J, Srinivasan S, Gosa M, Culbreath B, Mallory L, Redd L, Jones M, Curry R, Davis, Christensen M, Schoumacher R, & Stokes D. Pulmonary functions in infants with chronic aspiration. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010;181:A6229.
Gosa, M. M., Dodrill, P., Lefton-Greif, M.A., & Silverman, A. (Accepted, February 2020).
A Multidisciplinary approach to pediatric feeding disorders: Roles of the speech
language pathologist and behavioral psychologist. American Journal of Speech-
- Freeborn, T., & Gosa, M., McCallum, D., & Steele, E. (Accepted, January 2020). Board
22: Speech Pathology clinical shadowing and research experiences for
undergraduate engineers & computer scientists. 2020 ASEE Annual Conference
- Gosa, M.M., Dodrill, P., & Robbins, J. (Accepted, January 2020). Front line
interventions: Considerations for modifying fluids and foods for management of
feeding and swallowing disorders across the lifespan. American Journal of
- Suiter, D. M., & Gosa, M. M. (Eds.) (2019). Assessing and Treating Dysphagia: A
- Freeborn, T., & Gosa, M. (2018, June). Board 13: Work in Progress: Pilot Shadowing
Experiences to Introduce Engineering Students to Speech-Language Pathology.
In 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Hirst, K., Dodrill, P., & Gosa, M. (2017). Noninvasive respiratory support and feeding in
the neonate. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 2(13), 82-92.
Nonpeer reviewed publications:
- Gosa, M.M. (2018) Trouble Swallowing? A speech-language pathologist can help.
The Washington Post; https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trouble
- Gosa, M.M. (2017) Pediatric Dysphagia Assessment: Evaluating clinical tools. Dysphagia