- AuD, A.T. Still University, Arizona School of Health Sciences, 2017
- MS, The University of Alabama, 1988
- BA, Auburn University at Montgomery, 1987
JoAnne Payne has been an audiologist for over 30 years and has worked in a variety of settings. She joined the Department of Communicative Disorders in 2009 as a research and clinical audiologist, became the Coordinator of Audiology Services in 2016, and was named the Clinic Director in 2021. During her time here, Dr. Payne has developed our Newborn Hearing Evaluation program, the Tinnitus Retraining Therapy program, and the Cochlear Implant Mapping program.
Responsibilities as Clinic Director are to oversee the operations of the Speech and Hearing Center and the Communicative Disorders graduate and undergraduate clinical training program.
- Albea, C., Payne, J. (2021). Groups, Games, and Grounds: Making Adult Aural Rehab Groups Engaging and Effective. Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Convention 2021, Virtual.
- Payne, J., Wu, D., Yang, X., Parton, J., & Formby, C. (2018). Repeated Measurement of Absolute and Relative Judgments of Loudness. American Academy of Audiology National Convention, Nashville, TN.
- Payne, J., Wu, D., Yang, X., Parton, J., & Formby, C. (2017). Repeated Measurement of Absolute and Relative Judgments of Loudness. American Speech Language Hearing Association National Convention, Los Angeles, CA.
- Payne, J., Brooks, R., (2017). HIPAA: Legal and Ethical Requirements Unraveled. Speech and HearingAssociation of Alabama Convention 2017, Birmingham, AL.
Formby, C., Yang, X., Payne, J., Parton, J. (2019). Normative Group Means and Intra and Inter-Subject
Variability Estimates for Absolute and Relative (Categorical) Loudness Judgments of Young Adult
Listeners. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 62 (3), 768-778.
Formby, C., Payne, J., Yang, X., Wu, D., Parton, J. (2017). Repeated Measurement of Absolute and
Categorical Judgments of Loudness. Seminars in Hearing, 38 (1), 26-52.
Formby, C., Hawley, M., Sherlock, L., Gold, S., Payne, J., Brooks, R., Parton, J., Juneau, R., Desporte, E., &
Siegle, G. (2015). A Sound Therapy-Based Intervention to Expand the Auditory Dynamic Range
for Loudness among Persons with Sensorineural Hearing Losses: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Seminars in Hearing, 36 (2), 75-109.